Cybercrime cases have given a sharp rise to the QuickBooks password recovery process. In order to keep the confidential data intact, the need for stringent security is a must. Resetting the QuickBooks passwords are beneficial in terms of identifying any sort of theft concerns. It is very much important for the QuickBooks users to maintain their admin account in a proper manner. Well, keeping all these things in mind, we have come up with this article, where we will be discussing the entire procedure to reset the password for QuickBooks admin and other users.
Therefore, the user is required to read the article carefully till the end. As the password case is sensitive, you can speak to our QuickBooks support team via our toll-free number .i.e. +1-800-969-7370. Our team of QuickBooks experts and professionals will provide you with round clock assistance for all your QuickBooks concerns.
Read also: Procedure to access QuickBooks remotely
Points to remember while changing the password
Well, now that you have decided to change the password, there are certain things that should be considered while changing the password.
- As per the password criteria, your password should be a minimum of 7 characters
- Along with that, it should contain at least 1 numeric character.
- 1 uppercase letter is necessary
- And spaces are not allowed in passwords
- Also, passwords are case sensitive
- Make sure that you create a little complex password
- One important thing to be considered is that the caps lock and the num lock lays an impact on the password.
- The user should reset the password at a timely interval, in order keep up with the security level.
Information required for resetting the password
Before changing the admin password, QuickBooks accounting software takes numerous precautions to authenticate the identity. The entire process required certain information and account details, which include the following:
- QuickBooks 15 digit license number.
- Full name of an authorized contact using the QuickBooks account.
- The user also required the Email ID of that specific contact.
- The registered business contact number is also needed for changing the password.
- The Zip code registered with QuickBooks is also in the list.
It should be noted that the details should be entered in the same way as they appear on the Intuit Account. After collecting all the mentioned details, the QuickBooks user can move to the process of changing the password.
You’ll also like: Procedure to fix QuickBooks error code 15270
Determining the type of password to reset
Before jumping on to the solutions to change or reset the password, it is very much important to first determine the type of password that you want to reset. The reason you need to determine the type of password is that, the solution for changing password for admin user and other users are different.
- Change the admin password if:
- You do not require any kind of user name and you directly use a password to sign in.
- Also, if you use “Admin” or another admin user name that was created earlier.
- User password
- There can be a situation, when the user is not an admin user and wishes to reset or change the password for normal user. Then in such cases, the user can contact the admin user and ask them to change the user password for them.
You’ll also like: How to resolve QuickBooks error 324?
Methods to reset/change password for QuickBooks admin
There can be certain cases, and the fixes to each one varies. Let us have a look at each of the case:
Case 1: Reset Admin password for QuickBooks 2020
- The QuickBooks 2020 user is supposed to select “I forgot my password” on the company login window.
- After that, the choose an email from the drop-down list and hit Next. The user will receive an email containing a token to reset the password.
Note: If the drop-down list do not show your email address, then tap on to the “Don’t see your email in the list above?” option and continue as per the instructions provided on the screen.
- Lastly, enter the token that you got via email, and reset your password successfully.
Case 2: Reset Admin password for QuickBooks 2019
- For QuickBooks 2019, first of all open the software. Click on the “I forgot my password” link present in the login window.
- After clicking on to the link, the user will be required to enter the necessary information. The information will include:
- The license number
- The name, email address, ZIP code, and phone number.
- Hit OK and you will get a code at your registered email.
- Then follow the instructions and create a new password.
Case 3: You know the password and simply wants to change it (For other versions of QuickBooks)
- First of all, the user is required to Open the company file.
- The next step is to select Company > Set up users and passwords > change your password.
- Moving ahead, the user is required to enter the current password in the current password field.
- After that, the user is required to enter your new password, in the New Password field and the Confirm New Password field.
- The last and final step is to tap on OK button.
Case 4: Forgotten the password or lost (For other versions of QuickBooks)
Solution 1: Resetting the Admin password using security question
- The first step in this process is to select I forgot my password, in the QuickBooks desktop login screen.
- Once done with that, the user is required to click on answer the security question and then click on Ok button.
- The next step is to click on close after seeing the message on the screen: Your password and challenge answer and question have been removed, and your company file is no longer password protected.
- After that, the change QuickBooks password window will appear. Along with that, the user is required to click on Enter a new password and new challenge question.
- And the last and final step is to click on OK, and your file will open.
Solution 2: Resetting the admin password using a reset code (Admin only)
- To begin with, the user is required to choose the tool based on the version of QuickBooks that he/she is currently using.
- After that, from the QuickBooks version, the user is supposed to choose the version of QuickBooks desktop.
- Moving ahead, the user is required to fill in the QuickBooks license number and other required information, followed by hitting submit.
- The next step in the list is to, accept the license agreement and tap on download option.
- Now, the user is required to click on download now option that would appear on the next screen.
- Once done with that, the user has to enter the token number that he/she might have received via mail.
- In the next step, the user is required to choose the same QuickBooks version.
- And then, tap on the browse for company file option and choose the company file that he/she wishes to reset the password for.
- Now, enter the new password in the required field, and hit the reset password option and you are good to go.
Steps to Change/ Reset another user’s password
The above stated steps were to change the admin password, whereas the steps for changing another user’s password can be different. Let us have a look at the steps involved in changing the password for another user.
- Firstly, log in to the company file as an administrator.
- Once done with that, the user is supposed to visit the company menu and then click on the Set up users and passwords, followed by clicking on to the set up users.
- In the next step, the user has to enter the password once again, when prompted.
- After that, choose the user whose password is required to be changes, from the user list.
- And then, hit edit user tab.
- Now, enter the new password in the required fields.
- And the last step is to hit Next twice along with tapping onto finish option.
With this we come to the end of this article, and also hope the information contained in the article might be of some help to the QuickBooks users. By following the steps stated above, the QuickBooks user can reset or change the password for admin, as well as other users with much ease.
However, if the user is unable to change the password even after following the above steps, then we would recommend seeking for professional assistance, as the password case is sensitive.
You can consult our QuickBooks enterprise technical support by making a call at our toll-free number .i.e. +1-800-969-7370. Our team of experts and certified QuickBooks professionals will help you to fix the issue in no time.
You might also like these articles: