Had some really important work, but QuickBooks unable to open company file? Well, majority of QB users can relate to this, as the error QuickBooks cannot open company file or QuickBooks unable to open company file has become common nowadays. Though QuickBooks offers some really great features and perks, but might face certain technical glitches too. Users generally get frustrated, and are unable to tackle these types of errors. This article is for the ones who are facing error: QuickBooks unable to open company file. Therefore, if you are facing any such problem, then stick to the end of the article.
For expert assistance or any further information, you can make a call at our toll-free number i.e. +1-844-521-0490, and speak to our technical support team anytime.
Related article: System Requirements for QuickBooks enterprise 2019
What is error: QuickBooks unable to open company file?
Before digging in deep and learning about quick fixes to this error, it would be sensible enough to first find out what actually this error is all about. QuickBooks unable to open the company file error can occur due to numerous possible reasons. This error does not allow the user to open the company file, and might spoil the entire work of the user, while they are operating the software.
Why error ‘Cannot open QuickBooks company file’ occurs?
The reason behind the occurrence of this error can be many. Out of the huge list, we have listed some of the most common observed causes. Let us have a look:
- Damaged data in company files might be one of the reasons why QuickBooks is unable to open the company file.
- In case there is any kind of issue with the file location and extension, then the user will not be able to open the company file.
- Another case can be, when the company data gets damaged due to a corrupt hard drive with file storage.
- If there is any kind of conflict with QBW.TLG file, then this type of error could be seen.
- Any kind of issue with the reports in the file can also cause this bug.
- If the user is making use of incorrect QB version to open files, then this error can occur.
- Another case can be when the user is applying wrong method to open the file type.
Error codes reflecting this error
- C=XXX messages
- Login to the company file failed somehow
Points to be noted
Before the user jump on to the processes to fix the error, it is better to keep certain points in mind. Let us check out the following points:
- The user is required to ensure that the QuickBooks software is updated to the latest version.
- Also, the user is required to verify that only one system is hosting the company file. The user is required to turn off the hosting in all the computers aside from the server by:
- Move to the file menu
- And then click on utilities option
- Followed by selecting the option for stop hosting multi-user access
- And continue, after verifying
- The user should ensure that QuickBooks desktop program is not corrupted.
- The user should press and hold the Ctrl key, while opening the QB software using the desktop icon.
- If the program fails to open, then the issue might be with QuickBooks desktop.
You’ll also like: How to turn on advanced inventory in QuickBooks enterprise?
Fixation of Error: Cannot open QuickBooks Company file
Well, if you are facing this error, then there is good news for you. There are more than one rectification methods that can be used to get rid of this error with much ease. We will be discussing each of the methods one by one in detail.
Method #1: Checking the Properties and File extension
- The first step in this method is to open the folder where the company file is located.
- After that, right-click the company file icon, followed by selecting the properties option.
- The next step in the process is to ensure that the type of file is QuickBooks company file and also the size of the file is at least 7 MB.
- Now, the user is required to click on Advanced, and ensure that the boxes are unchecked for Compress and Encrypt attributes are unchecked.
- To end this process, the user is required to click OK.
Method #2: Opening the QuickBooks Company File directly from the software
Moving to the Windows desktop might work, in case of folder permission issues. Thus, the user can follow the steps listed below:
- At first the user needs to press and hold the Ctrl Key and double click on the QuickBooks icon
- After that, continue to press the key till the no window QuickBooks file open
- When the program opens up, the user needs to ensure that only one system is hosting the file. Otherwise close down the other servers that open the company file
- And turn off hosting in other systems by carrying out the steps below:
For Single user
It should be noted that in order to turn on hosting mode will disable the multi user access. The steps to be followed are:
- The user needs to first navigate to the file and click on utilities, along with that click on stop hosting multi user access
- The next step is to select yes, on the message that appears on the screen
- After that, the company file will be closed and the message will appear, where the user will have to select yes once again
For Multi-user mode
The error usually indicates that one or more client computers are set up wrongly, to host the multi user access. The steps to be followed are:
- The error message might appear on every client computer
- After that, the user needs to navigate to the no company open window and then select the file and utilities tab
- Now, the user can confirm that the menu option of the host multi user access is displayed. One or more client computers might display the menu options on the screen. Client computers prevent hosting multi user access, which indicates that they are already hosting multi user access
- After that select the option to stop multi user access hosting on any client system, display hosting of stop multi user access, and then follow the prompts to stop hosting
- The last step is to try to open the problem file again. The login window should now appear on the screen.
Note: The user should keep in mind that in case the user is opening a .QBX, .QBB, or .QBM file, then he/she will get prompts to choose the location, where he/she wishes to restore the file.
Read this also: How to resolve the QuickBooks company file not found error?
Method #3: Renaming the .TLG file and also .ND Extensions
There can be a situation, when the company file doesn’t open due to any kind of damage to the TLG and .ND files. Thus, in such cases renaming these files can help in opening the company file. The steps involved in this process are as follows:
- The first step is to open the folder, where the company file is located.
- And then, right-click the transaction log file.
- After that rename the file to OLD.qbw.TLG and repeat the same process with .ND file.
- The next step is to open the company file and the .TLG and .ND files will be crafted automatically.
Note: It should be noted that removing .TLG files is not recommended, as they can be used in future, in case the need for recovering the lost data occurs. Also, to restrict the error from occurring once again, the user should copy the transaction log file with the company file, while moving the data from one system to another system.
Method #4: Renaming QuickBooks company file
- To begin with, open the folder having the company file.
- After that, right-click and opt for the Rename option.
- The next step is to change the name of the file, and make sure that the name do not exceeds 3 letters and also ensure that the original file extension is intact.
- And then, if you see any .TLG file for the same, then do not forget to rename it as well.
Note: In case the file doesn’t show an icon or 3 letter extension, or if any wrong icon or extension is displayed, then the user will be required to add the file extension or edit in some cases, as per the file type.
Method 5: Fixing QuickBooks Installation
The user can move the QuickBooks company file to any other system, if possible, and try to open it. If in case the files opens up on other system, then the problem is with QuickBooks on the first system, or it can be any kind of issue with the system. For fixing that, the user can:
- Either run the QBInstall tool
- Or repair the QuickBooks installation.
- Also, the user can make use of clean installation of QuickBooks
Method #6: Do not let QuickBooks desktop Windows open automatically
The user can make an attempt to suppress too many windows from opening automatically that are opened in the company file. The steps to be performed are:
- Select the company file that is present on the No company open window.
- After that, press ALT key and hit open.
Note: In case the QuickBooks software shows a login window, then the user should type the password, and then hit Alt and OK. Keep hold of the Alt key, till the time company file opens fully.
In case the user is unable to open the company file without any kind of error, then carry out the steps below:
- Hit Preferences on the Edit menu.
- After that, tap on Desktop view, and then choose the Don’t save the desktop option.
- And lastly, hit OK button.
Method #7: Copying QuickBooks Company File to another location
In case the company file is situated to a network drive, the user is required to copy the same to the local drive. Also, troubleshoot the network configuration, in case the local file opens. Or the user can follow the steps below. It should be noted that if the company file is saved on a network, then the user needs to ensure that everyone is logged out of it before starting. And then, follow the steps to move the company file and the associated .TLG files to the local hard drive. The user needs to open the QuickBooks software and the company file which is moved. In case it opens up, then there might be an issue with the network configuration.
- The user needs to first open the windows start menu
- And then, type in file explorer into the search bar and then open the file explorer
- Now, look for and find the folder with the company file. It is usually in the QUickBooks folder
- The user will then have to right click the company file and select the copy option
- Also, right click anywhere on the windows desktop and select paste tab
- After that, right click the copied company file and select rename. Name the file or add the word test
- The next step is to open the QuickBooks software and move to the file menu and select the open or restore company
- And lastly, the user needs to select the company file, you copied to the desktop and select open
In case you can open the copied company file, then the file location is the issue:
- The user needs to move the copied company file from the windows desktop back to the original folder. And use this as the main company file from now on
- And also, find the original company file copied. After that right click it and select rename option. Also, add the word old to the name.
Note: In case the user is unable to paste the file to any other location, then the file might be used by someone else. To complete the process safely, you can ask the user to log out the file and make an attempt once again.
These were a few of the methods to fix the issue of QuickBooks unable to open the company file. Thus, opting for any of the above methods can work in your favor and help you to fix the error with much ease. However, if by any chance none of the methods worked in your favor, or the error continues to trouble you even after trying out all the methods, then feel free to call us at +1-844-521-0490.
At times, certain things can be fixed only by professionals. Therefore, you can call us and contact our QuickBooks enterprise support team for expert assistance. We are hub of experts and certified accounting professionals, who have years of experience and expertise in dealing with errors associated with QuickBooks. Reach us today we would love to help you!
Similar Topics you might like: