When you have updated OS and some applications use that key to store internal settings then application key is not updated. It causes them to fail after an update. This issue will typically appear on QuickBooks software. QuickBooks Error Code 20 – Printer not activated is one of the most common error message faced by the users of QB Software, whenever they try to upgrade their operating system to Windows 10 or 7.
Due to this error the QB user is not successful to print or send invoices and pay slips which direct to the further inconvenience for the business owners. This is a common error caused by various other applications apart from QuickBooks but its importance on QuickBooks is more than any other software.
To help you with this issue we are going to present two fairly simple methods which can solve this method and we will talk about both methods. Administrator access is compulsory to the system or else they will fail. You can also get in touch with our support team for any further assistance, via our toll-free number i.e. 1-844-521-0490.
You may also read: How to Setup email in QuickBooks desktop?
Important Points to remember
Before troubleshooting to this error you need to keep in mind the below-enumerated pointers.
1. Create a Registry Backup
Save a Registry Backup. Go to “Registry Editor” and then click on “Computer” from the folder tree in the left side and then select “File” then “Export” and at last click on “Save” It.
2. Create a System Restore Point
The restore guide is labelled for Windows 10 but it also works on Windows Vista/Seven and 8 as well.
What Causes Printer Activation Error 20 in QuickBooks?
- QuickBooks version you are using is not compatible with the windows OS you are using
- Windows has registry errors
- Incomplete or corrupt installation of QuickBooks
- Unsupported printer drivers either way
- Application key is not up to date
Read Also: How to create a QuickBooks accountant copy?
Methods to Fix QuickBooks Printer Activation Error 20
There are three methods to fix QuickBook error code 20 – Printer not activated problem. Follow the steps as they given below:
Method 1 – Reinstall QuickBooks
Uninstalling and then reinstalling QuickBooks is a good way to clean the corrupted files.
- Firstly, go to the “Control Panel“.
- Click on “Programs (Applications) and features“.
- Identify QuickBooks and then choose “Uninstall” option.
- Download a fresh copy of the QuickBooks.
- Reinstall the program and printer will now work efficiently.
You have to restart the computer to allow the changes to take place.
Note: If the dilemma is with Pdf converter only then you are advised to uninstall the old driver and install a friendly driver with your operating system.
Method 2 – Manually update the registry key
You can update the registry key by any of the following options:
Let permission using Registry editor
- Open Registry editor.
- Enter “Regedit” as it is after clicking on the “Start” key onto the keyboard.
- Right-click on the “regedit” and then select “Run as an administrator“.
- Find as now you can access to the registry editor.
- Choose “Permission” after right-clicking on the software folder.
- Verify that the user has the whole control of the table.
- Click on “OK” and then close the window as well as registry editor.
Now QuickBooks has the access to the keys and printer would work just fine.
This option is only applicable for Windows 10 users. You can update manually the registry key by granting permission by using Power sheet script.
The user account who is seeking for the permission must log in. It must that user account have the access to use the command prompt.
- Click on the “Start” button.
- Type “cmd” in the text field.
- Choose “Run as an Administrator” right after clicking on cmd.
- Type “Powershell” in the command prompt.
- Click on “Enter” button.
- Copy and paste the following code in the text field:
PowerShell.exe -NoProfile -NoLogo -NonInteractive -Command “$key = [Microsoft.Win32.Registry]::CurrentConfig.OpenSubKey(‘Software’,[Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKeyPermissionCheck]::ReadWriteSubTree,[System.Security.AccessControl.RegistryRights]::ChangePermissions); $acl =$key.GetAccessControl(); $rule = New-Object System.Security.AccessControl.RegistryAccessRule (‘Users’,’FullControl’,’ObjectInherit,ContainerInherit’,’None’,’Allow’); $acl.SetAccessRule($rule); $key.SetAccessControl($acl);”
This will fix it all.
Method 3: Configure Print Spooler Service
- Firstly you need to Press “Windows + R” keys together on your keyboard.
- After that type “MSC” in the Run Box.
- Now hit a right click on the “Print Spooler Service” from the services list
- Choose the “Properties” option and click on stop the Print Spooler Service.
- After that choose Automatic option
- Hit a click on “Start” the “Service” again.
- Finally try to print something or “Save a PDF“
Important: Always keep in mind to keep checking the USB connections once in a while and you should also run anti-virus or security program regularly in order to clear of these common errors.
Method 4: Fixing Microsoft Document writer Windows component
Microsoft Document writer is preinstalled Windows component, which helps in printing file. This component enables windows to assist QuickBooks application to save information in PDF. The steps involved in the process to fix Microsoft document writer windows component are as follows:
- The first step is to right click the “QuickBooks icon” and then select the “open file location” option
- And then, the user needs to move to the “Temp folder“
- After that locate and double click the “exe file“, followed by completing the installation process
- The next step in this process is to “open QuickBooks” once to register the license
- Moving ahead, if the user faces issue in installing “ABS PDF driver” or it stops responding, then the user needs to attempt in installing again
- The last step is to print again and verify the QuickBooks error code 20, after the installation process completes.
Method 5: Stop UAC from monitoring application on windows
- First of all, the user needs to hit the “Windows + R” tab and then type in “Control Panel” that can be seen in the “Run window“.
- After that, click on “OK tab”, followed by clicking on “User accounts” under the “Control Panel“.
- Moving ahead, the user needs to select the change user access control settings, followed by moving the slider to “never to notify“.
- The lasts step is to hit “OK tab” and then “reboot” the system.
Read this also: Fix data damage on your QuickBooks Desktop company file
Hopefully, this post has helped you a lot and you can successfully print using QuickBooks like before. In case you are still facing QuickBooks error code 20 or any other issue related to QB then we will be glad to provide you QuickBooks enterprise support all you have to do is, just give a miss-call at 1-844-521-0490. Our experts will reach you shortly.
You might also like: