Learn the best ways to resolve the QuickBooks error code H202 like a Pro
QuickBooks is one of the most popular accounting software, being used by small and medium sized business all over the world. This application is known for effectively handling the payroll, transactions, bookkeeping management, maintaining records and various other financial activities thereby ensuring smooth business operations.
QuickBooks may have many benefits, but it isn’t immune to any technical glitches or errors. At times these errors can be easily fixed while few others can affect the entire operations of the organization. And in such cases expert guidance’s are required. A common error that users often face is the QuickBooks error code H202. So, in this blog we will discuss every aspect of the this error right from what is it, to its causes, symptoms and of course the solutions.
Thus, make sure to read this post till the end, or you can also get in touch with us our support team i.e. +1-844-521-0490. Our experts and certified QB professionals will help you in fixing the issue with much ease.
You may also like: How to Fix QuickBooks error code 3371?
What is QuickBooks error code H202?
The QuickBooks multi-user mode is mainly associated with the error H202. This issue happens when the user tries to access a QuickBooks company file that is placed in another computer and the copy of QuickBooks cannot reach to that server. Moreover, many of the users when trying to open the QuickBooks file in a multi-user mode often receive the message:
‘You are trying to with a company file that is located on another computer and the copy of QuickBooks cannot reach the server of that computer’. And this is the QuickBooks error code H202.
Causes of the QuickBooks error code H202
Checkout the following infographic to know the possible causes behind to the error H202:
- Mis-configured hosting settings
- The firewall software blocking the exchange of data between QuickBooks and the server
- The DNS settings are not configured properly
- The Host’s or server’s IP address is not available to QuickBooks Desktop
- QBCFMonitor and QuickBooksDBXX services are not running
- Issue with the QuickBooks Database Server Manager
- Damaged or corrupted .ND file.
What are the Symptoms of QuickBooks Error code H202
- QuickBooks may freeze
- Your computer can become inactive
- You will not be able to switch to the multi-user mode
- You will also not be able to open company file on another computer
- The H202 error code will be displayed repeatedly on the computer screen.
Read Also: Steps to Fix QuickBooks error code 2107
How to Resolve the QuickBooks error H202?
If you see QuickBooks Error H202 when trying to switch into multi-user mode, then following solution methods can help you to resolve the error swiftly:
Solution 1: Check Network Connectivity
- On all workstations turn off the hosting
- From your workstation take your server name
- Fill in the name of your server and then hit on Enter on your keyboard.
In case you notice sluggish reply, then in that case the network needs to be fixed. So, move to the next solution.
Solution 2: Access the QuickBooks connection diagnostic tool
- The first thing to do is to download and install the QuickBooks connection diagnostic tool
- After that check the folder where data file is located
- Note down the IP address and Network Interfaces
- Check if your Firewall Status section has Open Ports button, then click on the button and allow the ports for QuickBooks
- After this check for data connectivity
- Now make an attempt to open your company file.
In case, the H202 error still persists then try to add the QuickBooks ports to the list of exception in firewall.
Solution 3: Server to be added to the Windows Host File
- First go to the Windows Host file on your computer where the error is
- (C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc\) in the notepad
- If required, open the notepad as admin
- After the last IP address keep the insertion point and write the server’s IP address
- Now click on the TAB key once and then write the server name
- Select the Save option from the File menu and click on Exit button.
- Now try to open the company file.
Solution 4: Make a new folder for your company file
- Make a new holder on the hosting computer
- Now share the folder and set up. Once done, Windows will request for permission to share the company files
- Now the QuickBooks Database file (QBW) needs to be copied to a new folder.
- Lastly, try to open the company file in the multi-user mode again.
Read Also: How to Resolve QuickBooks Error 6176?
Solution 5: Resolve the hosting to local files
- Open QuickBooks and then click on F2 key in order to open the Product Information Screen.
- In the bottom left, below the Local Server Information, choose hosting to reflect the local files only
- Ensure that no other client makes an attempt to host the same company file.
Solution 6: Restart the QuickBooks Database Server Manager
- Firstly, the launch the Windows Run dialog and then type services.msc. and then click on OK.
- After that right-click on QuickBooksDB19 (2009), QuickBooksDB18 (2008) or QuickBooksDB17 (2007) and select Stop.
- Now right-click and then select on Start and once done, close the window.
- Now you have to display extensions for known file types.
- You have to right-click on the Windows Start button and then choose Explore then go to Tools and the Folder Options,
- Once you are done, click on the View tab and then clear ‘Hide Extensions’ for the known file types box.
- Again, click on the View tab and choose the Show Hidden Files and Folders and then clear the Hide Protected Operating System file’s box.
- After this click Yes on the warning and then on OK button.
- Now close the Windows Explorer.
Read Also: How to Fix QuickBooks error code 99001?
Solution 7: Remove and recreate the .ND file
- In the Windows search, type *.ND and then click on Enter key.
- Now in the result Windows, right-click on .ND file and then hit the Delete button
- When prompted confirm the deletion
- Once the delete procedure is done, click on the Windows Start button
- Now select All Programs > QuickBooks > QuickBooks Database Server Manager
- Click on the Scan Folder tab
- Now click on Add Folder button and then search for the company file folder
- After this choose the company file and click on the OK button. The path to the company file is in the Folders with QuickBooks company files filed.
- Now click on Start Scan to begin with the scanning procedure
- Once the scan is complete, click on Close.
Solution 8: Follow steps depending upon the host the company files
Hosting own network: In case the user hasn’t already, he/she can carry out the steps to install QuickBooks database server manager on the server for each of the versions of QuickBooks that are currently in use. The server is basically the system that hosts the company files. After the user installs the database server manager, the user needs to continue with the section below:
There can be two ways to set up the database server manager:
- The full program option: This option can be opted to install the full version of QuickBooks desktop and database server manager on the server manager.
- The server only option: In this option, the user installs the database server manager on the server system.
Hosting the network with Windows Server 2012 Essentials R2
The user can follow these steps, in order to use Windows Server 2012 Essentials R2, to host the network. The user should not continue with the sections below.
Making use of QuickBooks Enterprise Hosting
In case the user is making use of QuickBooks Enterprise hosting, then the user should not follow the steps in the article below.
Making another hosting solution
In case the user is using another solution like right networks, then the user should contact the professionals.
The point to be noted here is that the devices like Network Attached Storage (NAS) do not support the Database server manager.
Read Also: How to Access QuickBooks desktop remotely?
Solution 9: Run the QuickBooks Database Server Manager on your server, from the Tools Hub
- The very first step in this process is to close QuickBooks.
- And then download the QuickBooks tool hub file, and then save the file where it can be accessed easily.
- The next step is to open the file that the user downloaded.
- Moving ahead, the user will have to carry out the on-screen steps to install and agree to the terms and conditions.
- The last step is to double click the icon after the install finishes.
Your server computer is the one that stores your QuickBooks company file. Your other computers connected to your network are your workstations.
- From the QuickBooks Tools Hub, choose Network Issues tab.
- After that choose QuickBooks Database Server Manager tool.
- Now inside the QBDBSM, you need to choose Start Scan option if your company file folder are displayed. If they aren’t, Browse to the location of your company file and then select Start Scan.
- The QuickBooks Server Manager will repair your firewall permissions automatically.
- Once the scan process finishes, choose Close option.
- Now you need to open your QuickBooks on every workstation where you see QuickBooks Error H202.
- Choose File and Switch to Multi-user Mode. If you use your server computer as a workstation, be sure to check it too.
If your workstations can go into multi-user mode without any issues, everything is fixed.
See Also: How to Fix QuickBooks Error 15101?
The QuickBooks error code H202 can be easily fixed through the above-mentioned solutions. But if you notice that the problem still persists then you have to get help from the QuickBooks enterprise customer support team at 1(844)521-0490 who will come up with a quick solution and will also give you tips to avoid such technical issues in the near future.
Our team will ensure to provide the best possible support services to all QuickBooks users.