Learn the best steps to resolve the QuickBooks Error 6073, -99001
For the last couple of years QuickBooks desktop has gained immense popularity and is considered one of the best accounting software available today. Small and medium businesses heavily depend on this application as it helps in managing their finances, keep a track of their expenses, generate reports, handle the invoices and more.
QuickBooks may have a lot many benefits, but it is a software after all and that’s why users face many errors or technical glitches which affects business operations. Some of these errors can be easily fixed while for few others you need to take help from experts. One quite common error is the QuickBooks error code 6073. This error generally happens when someone opens the company file in the multi-user mode.
When you try opening your company file, you receive the following message:
QuickBooks is unable to open this company file. It may have been opened by another user…
Error codes: (-6073, -99001)
Tackling this issue becomes easy for the user, if certain steps are followed properly. In today’s article, we have discussed some of the relevant solutions to QuickBooks error 6073, -99001. However, if you are seeking for expert assistance or professionals who can fix the error on your behalf, then feel free to call us at our toll-free number i.e. 1-844-521-0490. Our experts and certified QB professionals will be happy to resolve the issue for you.
What is QuickBooks error 6073?
QuickBooks error 6073, 99001 can be very much time consuming for the user to handle. It is usually encountered when the user tries to open the company file with the file extension .qbe in multi user mode. This error comes with an error message stating “QuickBooks is unable to open this company file”. It may have been opened by another user. You should ask that user to switch to multi user mode so you can both use the company at the same time. The file could also be located in a read only network folder. If it is, ask your system administrator to make the file accessible. The causes of this error can be many, which will be discussed later in this article.
Causes of QuickBooks Error 6073, -99001?
There can be a couple of factors leading to the QuickBooks error code 6073. A few of the most common ones are listed below:
- The file might be opened in another PC in multi-user mode
- This error also happens if the file is stored in a read-only network folder
- The files are stored in unix or linux computer and the users are trying to sign in to the folders using multiple credentials
- The company file is being accessed by remote operating system and the host system finds that the system is still logged in.
You might also see: How to troubleshoot QuickBooks error 6123?
How to the QuickBooks Error Code 6073?
Any kind of technical glitches in QuickBooks can cripple your business operations and that is the reason why they need to be resolved at the earliest. Below are the ways through which you can fix QuickBooks error 6073:
Solution 1: Use QuickBooks File Doctor to fix the error
The very first method can be to use QuickBooks file doctor tool. The QuickBooks File Doctor tool can help in resolving QB issues. The user just need to download it and run to resolve the error. The steps involved in this process are as follows:
- The initial step is to download the most recent version (126.96.36.199) of the QuickBooks tool hub. And then save the file where it can be accessed easily spot it
- And then open the file which was downloaded earlier i.e. QuickBooksToolHUb.exe
- The user is then required to carry out the onscreen steps to install and agree to the terms and conditions
- Followed by double clicking the icon on the windows desktop to open the tool hub.
- The next step in the process is to opt for the company file issues tab in the QuickBooks tool hub
- And also choose the run QuickBooks file doctor tab. This process might take a minute or so, but if in case the tool fails to launch, then search for QuickBooks file doctor and then launch it manually
- Now, in the file doctor, make sure to select the company file from the drop down menu. In case the user is unable to find it, then select the browse option to spot the file.
- The next step is to choose the check your file and select continue.
- To end the process, enter admin password and hit next
Solution 2: Corrupted or Unavailable Network Data File
Another method that one can opt for is to fix the corrupted network data file. The user can perform the below stated steps and fix the corrupted or unavailable network data file.
- Open Windows Explorer by right-clicking on the Start Button
- Now look for the folder which stores the QuickBooks company file
- After this right-click on the company file with Network Data and QB company file extension
- Now you have to modify the file extension from .ndold and then click on Enter key
- After this open QuickBooks and then the company file
- Now QuickBooks will make another network data file for the company file
See Also: Repair QuickBooks Desktop for Windows
Solution 3: The Network data files and transaction log files are labelled as hidden files
Another method is to check if the network data files and transaction log files are labelled as hidden. The user can carry out the steps below and try to fix the error.
- The first thing to do is to open My Computer then go to the Tools menu and then click on the folder options
- After this go to the View Tab and then to Show Hidden files and folders
- Once done, open data folder to check network data files and transaction log files
- Select properties by right clicking on the Network Data files
- Now delete the hidden option and then click on OK
Solution 4: Fix QuickBooks error 6073 manually
The manual process to fix the QuickBooks error 6073 varies depending on the situation or the condition. Below we will be exploring the possible conditions and the steps involved in each of them:
Condition 1: In case, anybody opens the company file in Single-user mode in another workstation
- The first thing to do is to close QuickBooks Desktop in all computers
- After that open the company file using the host computer
- From the file menu you have to now switch to the multi-user mode
- If the issue isn’t resolved then reboot all the systems
Condition 2: If the company file is open in Single-user mode in the host computer
- Firstly, go to the File Menu and select close company
- After that reopen the company file
- Now choose Open or Restore Company from the file-menu
- Open the company file and then click on Next
- ‘Once done, select the company file and then select open file in multi-user mode and open.
Condition 3: In case, the company file is stored in a read-only network folder
- Firstly, go to the computer that is hosting your file
- After that open, the folder where your company file is stored
- Now you have to right-click on the folder and then click on Properties option.
- After that go to the security tab and then choose the user with login issues and then tap on Edit option.
- Once done you have to Select Allow then Apply and then on OK button,
Condition 4: If the computer is being accessed remotely via LogMeIn, GoToMyPC, etc.
- Firstly, you have to right-click on the Task Manager and then choose the Task Manager
- Now you have to choose Processes and then check if there are any running processes with the username with which you are having issues
- In case, you find processes under that user then restart your system
You can also run the Quick Fix my Program from the QuickBooks Tools Hub.
- Open tool hub software on your system
- After that choose Program Problems and Select Quick Fix my Program.
- Now start your QuickBooks Desktop and open your data file.
The above mentioned solutions can work well in fixing the QuickBooks error 6073 without any further hassle. However, if the problem persists then you need to seek assistance from QuickBooks enterprise technical support team who are available 24/7.
Give us a call at our toll-free number i.e. 1-844-521-0490, and our experts and certified accounting professionals will be happy to help you.
Other helpful resources: