Lean 5 dependable solutions to fix QuickBooks Error 15242
Hundreds of thousands of business owners across the world find QuickBooks instrumental in managing their bookkeeping and accounting tasks. Though it’s an innovative software backed up by efficient experts – it isn’t completely free from technical glitches and errors. Among the most frequent errors that users come across is QuickBooks Error 15242. This error occurs when you use the accounting software or try to update it. The error message may tell you that you are not allowed to install and download payroll updates.
At the time to update QuickBooks or payroll service, you may see one of the following error message on your desktop screen:
Error 15242: The update did not complete successfully. QuickBooks FCS is damaged or not responding.
Error 15242: The payroll update did not complete successfully. QuickBooks FCS is damaged or not responding.
Intuit regularly releases updates for all its products and we recommend users download each update as they make programming more productive.
As a consequence of the error, QuickBooks FCS i.e. the file copy service do not respond properly. Also, the error can block the proper functioning of the QuickBooks and payroll software. This makes it important for the user to resolve resolve the error, as it can terminate the flow of work that will affect the business.
Related Article: Ways to troubleshoot QuickBooks error 15241
Causes of this error
- Wrongly installed QuickBooks software
- In case the Intuit QuickBooks file copy service gets damaged somehow
- The user can encounter this error, if the QuickBooks FCS service is disabled
- Another factor causing the issue can be if the QuickBooks payroll subscription ended
- Or, if there is any kind of damage in the company file
- In case the user is unable to login as admin, then this kind of error could be seen
- The user might face this error if the update process ended unsuccessfully. Or if the QuickBooks FCS is damaged or not responding
- Unsuccessful update of the payroll can also end up in the error
- This error usually ends in QuickBooks FCS. It is the not responding document replica service and it might also block the payroll and QuickBooks system. This error ultimately affects the business
How to Fix QuickBooks Error 15242 When Attempting to Update the Payroll?
In order to troubleshoot QuickBooks payroll error 15242, checkout the following troubleshooting methods in sequence.
Solution 1: Validate your Payroll membership
- Open QuickBooks and go to Employees
- Select My Payroll Service followed by Account/Billing Information
- The QuickBooks Payroll Account Maintenance window will pop up on your desktop screen
- Close the window and the finance membership will itself be re-validated by QuickBooks
- After the approval process is over, restart your QuickBooks
Solution 2: Do a clean installation of QuickBooks in Selective Startup
Perhaps a third party application line anti-virus is obstructing the installation process of QuickBooks Desktop. It’s necessary to install QuickBooks Desktop in a selective startup as this mode would let you start the Windows operating system with just selected programs on your system.
- Open Run command (Windows key +R) and type MSConfig in the box to search and hit OK button
- Tap on the General tab and click OK
- Click Selective startup and then Load system service
- Go to the service tab, click Hide all Microsoft Services and then Disable all
- Now, uncheck the checkbox for Hide all MS Services
- Make sure that the windows Installer checkbox is selected
- Press OK if the checkbox isn’t selected
- Go to System Configuration window and click Restart
- After your system is back up, reinstall QuickBooks Desktop through a clean install
Steps to restart your computer to a normal configuration
- Open Run command (Windows key +R) and type MSConfig in the box to search and hit OK
- Go to the General tab and select Normal Startup and then press OK button
- Click on Restart on the System Configuration window
Solution 3: Check if you are missing any recent update
- Firstly, Open your QuickBooks Desktop.
- After that press F2 or Ctrl+1 keys on your keyboard to open the Product Information window.
- Here you can check your current version and release date of QuickBooks desktop.
If your QuickBooks version is not latest then follow the given steps to get the latest QuickBooks desktop updates:
- Go to the Help menu and choose the Update QuickBooks Desktop option.
- After that move your cursor to the Update Now tab.
- Now choose Get Updates option to begin the download part.
- Once the download process gets complete, you need to reboot your QuickBooks.
- Finally accept the on-screen instructions to install the new release once the screen pop-pus.
Solution 4: Perform FCS settings
- The very first step in this process is to locate QuickBooks desktop manage option
- And then choose the services and applications option and then click on the services appearing on the right side of the screen’
- Once done with that, the user needs to spot the service entitled “Intuit QuickBooks FCS” and then double click the same
- The next step is to click on the Intuit QuickBooks FCS properties dialog box that displays on the screen
- And then hit Ok
- Now, open the QuickBooks desktop and then download the current updates of the product
- Followed by, updating the tax tables
- To end the process, verify the error persists or not
Solution 5: Manually resolve the problem
Check if the error is occurring only on your computer or all the systems. If only one computer has the issue, download the update on another computer
The above mentions troubleshooting steps are suggested by our experts. If the QuickBooks error 15242 still persists even after trying the solution provided in this article, call our QuickBooks enterprise tech support team immediately for the precise solution of QuickBooks Error code 15242. You can also get in touch via toll free number i.e. 1-800-969-7370 and ask them to fix the error on your behalf.
Checkout these articles too: