Comprehensive guide to resolve Error 15106 : The update program cannot be opened while updating QuickBooks Desktop:
QuickBooks is a renowned accounting software and has been introduced to provide the best possible assistance in meeting the daily requirements of the business, especially when it comes to accounting and Bookkeeping. However, the fact that it is prone to certain errors can’t be denied. One such error is QuickBooks error code 15106. Talking about the this error, this kind of issue is often seen when the user updates the program. This error comes up with an error message which indicates that the update program has been damaged. This kind of error is probable to occur, when the user is making use of QuickBooks payroll and is unable to update it. There can be a plenty of facts associated with update error code 15106, which will be discussed later in this post. Thus, to know more, make sure to read this post till the end.
Moreover, if you are seeking for expert assistance, then you can also contact our QuickBooks payroll tech support team via our toll-free number i.e. 1-844-521-0490. We are a hub of technocrats, who work round the clock, to provide the best possible assistance to QB users.
Related article: How to Fix QuickBooks payroll update error 15215?
What QuickBooks Error 15106 means?
Before exploring the causes and solutions to QuickBooks update error 15106, it is highly recommended to first learn what this error is all about. This is basically a payroll update error, which indicates that something is stopping the software from updating all versions of QuickBooks desktop. Error 15106 comes up with an error message stating:
“Error 15106: The update program cannot be opened”
“Error 15106: The update program is damaged”
This error might occur as a consequence of any program or something hindering the update process. There can be various other causes of this error, a few of which are scribbled below.
Triggers to QuickBooks error code 15106
The QuickBooks error code 15106 can be caused due to a couple of factors. These factors include the following:
- The very first and major cause can be in case the antivirus application installed in the system is blocking the update.
- If the user is not logged in as administrator in the system, as the ability to read and write new files gets restricted without admin credentials, it could end up in this annoying error
- Lastly, if the Spy Sweeper is present in the webroot anti-virus software, and it takes QB update program as a malware activity, this would definitely lead to the QuickBooks error 15106.
It should be noted that, if you have an active QuickBooks desktop payroll subscription, the user is recommended to download the latest tax table after every step, in order to endure that the payroll information isn’t affected.
Methods to Resolve QuickBooks Update Error 15106
Now that you have learnt what all things might cause this error code, it is time to find out ideal solutions to fix the QuickBooks error code 15106. There can be more than one solution to eliminate this bug permanently. Below we have mentioned some of the most relevant solutions to this error, let us have a look:
Method 1: Logging in the system with admin credentials
Talking about the fixation methods, the user can log in the system with admin credentials. If you have logged in as a different user, then in that case you must login as admin. You are simply required to right click the QuickBooks desktop icon, and then select Run as Administrator.
Performing this step will change the access to administrator. This will provide you with admin privileges, and this would resolve your issue.
Method 2: Clean install QuickBooks in selective startup mode
In case the above method failed to fix the issue, then you can opt for clean install in selective startup mode. The steps involved in this process are as follows:
- In this method, the user is supposed to create a backup of the company file.
- After that the user needs to keep a copy of the QuickBooks product and license info.
- The next step is to start the system in selective startup mode, in order to ensure that no other application is hindering in completing the task.
- Moving ahead, the user needs to uninstall or install QuickBooks desktop.
- Now end the process by switching back to the normal startup mode. Hopefully, this would fix the error
Method 3: Turning off User Account Control (UAC)
Another method that one can opt for is to turn off User Account Control. This methods can also help the users in getting rid of QuickBooks error 15106 up to a great extent. The steps to be followed to turn off UAC for Windows 10, 8.1, 8 and 7 are:
- The very first step is to press Windows + R keys and then open the Run window
- After that, the user is recommended to type in Control panel and hit OK button
- The user is now required to choose the User Accounts, and then make sure to select User Accounts (Classic View).
- Now, click on Change user account control settings option. (It should be noted that if the user is promoted by UAC, then select Yes to continue).
- After that, move the slider:
- Set it to Never Notify and then click on OK, to turn UAC OFF.
- Or Set it to Always Notify and then click on OK, to turn on UAC.
- The last step is to reboot the system.
Method 4: Stop Antivirus and rename folders
This is the last method that one can opt for, in case the above methods failed to eliminate the bug. The steps to be performed are:
- First of all, the user needs to press CTRL + SHIFT + ESC keys together, to open Task manager.
- And then, move to the Processes tab, and then look for [ANTIVIRUS].exe. For example: Spy Sweeper.exe. It should be noted that if an error is encountered, then uninstalling the antivirus application is recommended.
- After that select, End Process.
- Followed by renaming the QuickBooks update folder.
- Press Windows + E keys and open file explorer.
- And then, move to C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks(year)\Components.
- For 64- bit users, move to C:\Program Files(x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks(year)\Components.
- The next step is to right click on the downloadqbXX folder, and then click on the rename option. Note that the XX used here stands for the year of version of your QuickBooks.
- Now, add .old to the end of the name.
- And end the process by re-updating QuickBooks desktop.
See Also: How to Fix QuickBooks Error code 2107?
To wrap up!
QuickBooks error code 15106 can be easily rectified by carrying out the processes mentioned above. However, there can be a situation that none of the methods worked in fixing the issue, due to multiple reasons. In such a case, make sure to reach out to some professional with renowned experience and expertise. You can also contact our QuickBooks enterprise customer support team via our toll-free number i.e. +1-844-521-0490.
Our team of experts and certified professionals will ensure to provide the best possible support round the clock, and will help you remove any QuickBooks related bug permanently. Thus, feel free to call us anytime, and we will be happy to help you!