Get your work done faster and improve your productivity by following our tips to speed up QuickBooks performance:
QuickBooks assists business owners all around the world in managing their business. It performs some of the most complicated tasks such as managing bills, creating inventories, scheduling payments and preparing taxes in the least possible time with almost zero errors. However, since the software does so much heavy lifting for a business it may get slow with time or show some errors. When you try to work on a company file that’s big in size, you may at times experience performance issues – the file may take longer to open, the software may respond slow to your commands.
Thus, it’s necessary for you to keep optimizing QuickBooks. Besides, if you think your software is performing slow, you can read on this blog post to learn some useful tips to improve the QuickBooks software’s performance. Optimizing the software is a must, and we will be discussing about this fact in today’s post. However, in case you require any expert assistance, then feel free to call us at our toll-free number i.e. 1-800-969-7370. Our experts will be there to assist you in optimizing the performance of the QB software.
You might also see: What is QuickBooks error 179?
Reason to optimize
Before you optimize the performance of the software, it is very much important for you to find out the reason why you actually need to optimize the QuickBooks software. Your computer has a lot of files in various locations. When you install QuickBooks accounting software, at the time when your system isn’t functioning appropriately, you might receive an error message, “QuickBooks is unable to start” Or the software may take very long to open. This situation is easily avoidable – just keep optimizing your computer at regular intervals and keep QuickBooks desktop performance issues and other glitches at bay. A fast and error-free software will ensure easy handling of your business.
Many users have this query in their mind, that how is it possible for them to optimize the software performance. Well, we have written this article with an aim to answer this query. Reading this post will answer some of the complicated queries related to optimizing QuickBooks desktop performance.
Why is optimizing QuickBooks important for us?
Many users might still be doubtful of the importance of optimizing QuickBooks performance. So, to make it a bit more clear, we have jotted down some of the pointers that reflect the importance of QuickBooks optimization.
- You can perform bookkeeping and accounting tasks faster when your QuickBooks is performing better.
- It increases your work-ability.
- You save time that you may otherwise waste fixing bugs and issues.
- Increased productivity.
- Decreases the stress hour
What issues may affect the performance of QuickBooks?
There can be many issues that can indirectly or directly affect the performance of the QuickBooks software. So, here we have enlisted the factors causing the issue:
- Can’t copy or move company file
- Your new printer is not printing
- Losing QuickBooks license number
- Losing QuickBooks admin password
- Failure in rebuilding data files
- Unable to upgrade data files
- Not being able to connect to data file
- Unable to reinstall QuickBooks
- Slow speed in multi-user mode
- Unable to locate a particular company file
What are some common reasons that cause QuickBooks performance issues?
A question might be troubling you, that why performance issues actually occur. So, below we have listed some of the causes of the QuickBooks performance issues:
- One or more of the following may cause performance issue in QuickBooks:
- Your company file takes a lot of time to open or doesn’t open at all
- The tasks related to the company file slow down as more users get connected
- All the users facing performance issue
- The performance of the software is uncertain
- The software gets slower as you and other users spend more time on the file
- A faulty network that is perhaps damaging your QuickBooks files
What are some common reasons of slow QuickBooks causing a delay in a particular company file?
The main cause behind the slow performance of QuickBooks may be too much data. All the programs are typically saved in your computer’s memory and it may take longer to extract details of a customer or find any entry. In that situation, your QB files may get damaged with time and the software may start responding slow.
Check your network settings
System memory (RAM) of your server computer is a major component that helps in making deciding and optimizing the speed of the system and the performance of your computer. It can be enhanced to advantage from faster speed. Let’s say you have a 4GB RAM on your server computer, you can check if you can upgrade that to a larger capacity. It’s advisable to contact a professional to perform such actions, as experimenting might lead to further mess.
Check the folders where your QuickBooks files are saved for errors. You must be using a Windows or Linux based computer as a Network Attached Storage Device (also called NAS drive) may not be useful. In case you want to acquire more knowledge from the storage location of your file, optimize your data file location.
Check the type of network you are using and replace that if you don’t have a proper network set up. This one step can abundantly improve the performance of QuickBooks. Here are the options you can choose from for optimum performance of QuickBooks:
- Wired connection
- Gigabit-capable router, switch and network cards and Cat networking cables
Here is how you can know if you have a Gigabit network:
- For this, the user needs to press the CTRL+ Shift + ESC keys simultaneously on your keyboard
- And then Open Task Manager
- The next step is to select the Network Tab
- Lastly, the user needs to look for gigabit network when your local connection displays 1Gbps under Link Speed (100 Mbps means you don’t have a gigabit network and you may be required to switch).
Steps to speed up the performance of QuickBooks desktop
Struggling with Slow QuickBooks Performance? Try below given tips to boost the Speed/performance of your. In order to tackle this issue, we recommend you to update your QuickBooks Desktop to the latest release before you move on to fix issues. Also, please note that some of the below-mentioned steps require assistance from experts especially for the steps that involve making changes in the server computer.
Solution 1: Reset the TLG file and resort lists by creating backups
Creating a backup of recent files and data typically helps to improve QuickBooks performance as it can reset them to .tlg file. In order to gain more details of a transaction log file, do the following:
- The very first step is to open Program and choose the File menu
- Moving ahead, the user needs to backup company file and then choose to create Local Backup
- Also, tap on Local Backup and the hit Options
- On the next window – Tell us where to save your backup copies – select Desktop
- The next step is to choose complete verification and then press OK button
- Now, choose Save it now and hit Next.
- To end the process, select Desktop in the next Save backup copy window and then Save.
These steps will allow you to create a backup file on your Desktop.
Solution 2: Do a speed check from a UNC path and the desktop
In case the above steps failed to work for you, then you can do a seed check from a UNC path and the desktop. Unclosed the file via UNC path instead of the Mapped Drive:
Network setup consisting of different types can abundantly affect QuickBooks desktop performance. When you attempt to access your QuickBooks company files through a mapped drive, for example, Q:\QB Data if you are trying to access the UNC Path Server\QB Data.
The provided steps require some technical knowledge thus you can consider speaking to an IT professional if you have any issue in finding the name of the server computer or the path of the file location.
- The user is supposed to spot the server computer name by the Computer and looking under the network location area.
- Different mapped drives such as X:\, Z:\, Y:\, etc. might be available while finding the server computer represented by two backslashes (\\). Copy the server computer name or write that down and proceed to the next step. Also, note down the shared folder name right before the server computer name.
- After you have your server name and shared folder name, put them in the following format: \\Server Name\Shared Folder Name and the UNC path as \\Server Name \QB Data.
- Note down the paths somewhere easily accessible and open QuickBooks and choose Open or Restore a Company File. Tap on Open a Company File and then Next.
- Put in the UNC path in the un-closed a company box and hit Enter. A list of company files will open up. Double click on the file you want to open.
- If you have improved system speed, ask your IT professional to set up a UNC path for future use and don’t use a mapped drive to access your company files.
- If the performance shows no improvement, move on to the next step.
While connected to a network, test your speed locally
To be sure if the network or the company file is the cause of the slow performance, test your QuickBooks in multi-user mode. In case you notice the sluggishness after more than one user sign into the company file – move on to solution 3. If the issue is experienced when just one user is logged in, then do the following to locally copy the file.
- Initially, the user needs to open QuickBooks and press F2 key
- And then, note down the file location
- The user is then required to sign out and close QuickBooks
- Now, press the Start menu and then Computer icon
- Also, browse to the file path (as mentioned in step 2)
- Followed by locating QBW file and copy it
- And then, paste the file on the desktop
- To end the process, the user needs to open QuickBooks and browse the file
Check the software performance to see if there is any improvement. In case you don’t experience any evident improvement, move on to the next step.
Solution 3: Reduce QuickBooks company file fragments and perform disk defragmentation
In the third method, the user can reduce the QuickBooks company file fragments and perform disk fragmentation. The steps involved in this process are as follows:
- The QuickBooks file is local to the desktop and you can create and restore file
- Once you complete the creation/restoration in a portable file, you should perform disk defragmentation
- Do not perform disk fragmentation in case you use Solid State Drive
- Press the Start button and select All Programs
- Select Accessories and then System Tools followed by Disk Fragmentation
- Press the Defragmentation button and then follow prompts to perform defragmentation.
Solution 4: Check third party programs and antivirus software
Check antivirus software
Your antivirus software may impact the performance of QuickBooks and therefore you should temporarily disable to see if the performance gets better.
- Disable your antivirus temporarily on the server computer
- Open QuickBooks and see if the performance is better than before
- If the performance result is still the same, then third party programs may have issues.
Check third-part software
- Open Run Command (Windows + R keys) and type msconfig and hit Enter key
- Tap on Diagnostic Startup and press OK button
- Restart your computer and assess the performance.
Post testing follow the below-mentioned steps to reinstate normal operation.
- Open Run Command (Windows +R), type msconfig and press Enter key
- Choose Normal Startup and hit OK button
- Now, reset your system
Solutions 5: Check your QuickBooks company files
In the event that you have diminished the performance issue to the company file as in it effectively both on and off the server PC with the antivirus disabled in specific startup mode, and reconstructing the tlg file, you might be fit to better performance by checking your information document performance improvements.
Before you start, look if the performance is influencing various clients or just a couple of clients. Likewise, the recurrence of when the performance issue occur – if it is content during the day or just while doing specific sorts of works in QuickBooks.
The user can easily tackle the performance of the software by managing the system. This can be done by ensuring the below points:
Enhancing the system- From enhancing the system, it is basically meant to work on the system configurations. In case the user is facing the issue, even if the system meets the basic requirements, then adding up the RAM and other system configurations can improve the condition
Virtual Memory- Increasing the virtual memory for each of the application running on the system can work. Also, the user should ensure that VM is running on the internal hard drive
Competing Programs- Competing program is basically a program running at the same time QuickBooks is running. The user can shut down the programs and processes running on the system, as this enables the operating system to assign more RAM to QuickBooks.
RAM Improvements- The user is recommended to add memory chips in the empty sockets or the user can also upgrade the existing memory chips and increase RAM
Upgrading the operating system– The user can also consider upgrading the operating system. Older operating systems have lower limits on the amount of RAM that they can support
Upgrading Systems- If the user wishes to upgrade the server, then he or she needs to ensure that the system that will store the file is a true server. Also, it is important to fill all of the RAM slots with the highest capacity chips.
Components influencing QuickBooks performance in multi-user mode
- Working on company files gets slower as the number of users increases
- At the point when a company file sets aside longer effort to open
- Company File functions fine in the daytime and gets slower as the day passes
- Data issues and errors in various files which shows that is getting harmed because of a system issue.
Why QuickBooks desktop running slow in multi-user mode?
- Multi users are opening or utilizing one file simultaneously
- The file is excessively huge
- The PC having the information is performing ineffectively
- An enormous report is running in data files
How to fix QuickBooks desktop slow to open issue?
- Make sure that your QuickBooks accounting software is updated to the latest release
- Your network and computer must be using Gigabit network components
- Ensure that the performance of your computer is appropriate and it is junk-free
- Perform manual backups at regular intervals
- Use URL’s to access the database instead of using share drive.
Useful tips to improve your QuickBooks performance
Maintenance of your devices: There may be glitches and issues in your system or device such as laptops, desktops, or smartphones, through which you access QuickBooks. Clear cache and cookies on regular intervals to fix and avoid them.
Delete TLG file: QuickBooks accounting software can automatically create and store TLG together with your main file. In case, the main file is lost or deleted – PNG file help to recover that.
Create a verified backup: Here is the path you should follow: Click on File > create backup > local backup > options > complete verification.
Turn off QuickBooks auto-updates: Update messages that appear on your screen frequently may cause your accounting software to perform slow. You can turn them off and can check for the important updates manually.
Avoid damages and corruptions: Any sort of corruption can have an adverse impact on QuickBooks. You can keep them at bay by following the simple steps provided below:
- Create a portable data file and restore it
- Use the QuickBooks File Doctor tool
By following the tips and tricks mentioned in this blog post, you can abundantly enhance the performance and speed of QuickBooks. In case your accounting software is still slow and you need assistance, please call- our 24×7 QuickBooks enterprise support team.
Give us a call at our toll-free number i.e. 1-800-969-7370, and let our experts to carry out the optimization of your software on your behalf.