Ways to merge the two QuickBooks company files?
These days majority of the small and medium businesses are using the software QuickBooks to streamline the various accounting tasks. This software has amazing features that helps the organizations in managing their finances, accounting, inventory and more and thereby making the business operations smoother. Every year Intuit comes up with a new version of QuickBooks that contains new and improved features.
Among many useful features Merge QuickBooks files is one of the best ones. With the help of this feature the QB users can combine financial reports from different company files. This assists in including balance sheets, profit and loss, copy transactions, generate reports and many more. There are different ways to use the QuickBooks merge company file feature. In fact, there are three methods to combine financial reports – through QuickBooks itself, through third party application or through Microsoft excel. However, before you start with the steps to merge files there are few points that you should adhere to.
- The combined reports must be very easy to read, create Chart of Accounts same in different company files
- The accounts can be merged only if they have the same name, type as well as same gradable level
- The Accounts will not merge:
- If they are at different levels
- In case, the spellings are not similar
- If they have different account numbers
- For the combination routine, you might have to log in to your files, and then turn them into multi-user mode.
Related article: How to setup and use QuickBooks Web Connector tool?
Below are the data that you cannot merge
- The payroll checks are combined in the regular check, hence they won’t be shown on the payroll reports
- The Memorized Transactions are not transferred from the secondary files
- Bank Reconciliations cannot be merged as QuickBooks doesn’t support it
- The Data Files have negative inventory while the it is difficult to merge the assembly builds
- The Data files that have the sales tax items and groups, they get changed later on
- The customer To-do lists and not cannot be merged
- It is not at all possible to merge Customer Fields from transaction.
Steps to Merge QuickBooks Company Files
Below are different ways through which you can merge financial reports from different company files:
Step 1. Use the QuickBooks Combined Reports Feature
The built-in merging files feature in QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise helps you to combine reports very easily from QuickBooks company files. Balance Sheet standard, statement of cash flows, balance sheet summary, profit and loss by class, trial balance and profit and loss standard can be combined through this feature.
Merge QuickBooks file process to combine reports in QuickBooks Enterprise:
- First go to QuickBooks main Menu and then search for the Reports Menu
- Now click on the Reports Menu
- After this in the submenu list, you have to click in the Combine Reports from Multiple Companies
- Now Choose Add Files
- Look for another company file
- Click on Open
- For additional company files you have to repeat the same process
- Now you have to go the section that allows you to choose reports for combining
- In this step, you have to choose the reports which you want to have combined information
- After this set the date range for the report, by filling the form and To Fields about date range
- Once done, choose a reported basis
- Search for the Combine Reports in Excel and then select it
- After this a Microsoft Excel sheet will be displayed on the screen containing the combined information.
If you have other report combinations or if you are using QuickBooks Pro or Premier you can use the two options mentioned below. Also, if you are using QuickBooks Mac Desktop version, you have to use the second option.
Similar Article: How to enter Payroll Service Key in QuickBooks?
Step 2. Use third party software
There are various utilities available from the Intuit Marketplace that are compatible with QuickBooks desktop and enhances its functionality. So, it is suggested that you look for third-party software that can help in creating combined reports easily from the QuickBooks company data files. Do note, that the Intuit Marketplace programs are not compatible with the QuickBooks Mac Desktop version. In that case, the user has to go for the next method mentioned below.
Step 3. Manually Export and Combine
In this method you have to manually export the reports from each of the files and then you have to combine these reports by using Excel software.
Follow the below mentioned procedure for this:
- The first thing to do is to open the first data files.
- Create the report for the data file
- Now export the report that you have created to a worksheet opened in Excel workbook.
- Once you have exported the report save the workbook.
- Close the first data file
- Now open the second data file
- After you have opened the second data file create the same report
- Again, export the report to a new worksheet opened in the same Excel workbook
- Open Microsoft Excel
- Now open the workbook
- In this step, you will need to manually combine two of the exported reports in two different worksheets into a third Excel Worksheet.
- Once done, save the Excel workbook.
The merging of QuickBooks company file isn’t that complicated as it seems through the above-mentioned steps. However, if you face issues with it then QuickBooks enterprise support team are always there 24/7 to aid you with it. Feel free to connect with our experts by dialing toll-free 1(800)969-7370.
Articles to read: